Pages

My Favorite Weight Watchers Recipe Sites

Blog Search
Trying To Stay Calm
Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Sweet & Sour Chicken

Sweet and Sour Chicken
I will do it again for sure. One thing that I realized is that if you cook the chicken this way you can easily make the sauce many different ways. Here is my Sweet & Sour recipe. It sounds kind of hard but it really isn't. I prepped everything in the morning and then it took maybe about 1/2 to get everything cooked.

Coated Chicken (& marinade)

* 1 lb chicken (cubed)
* 1 tbs. soy sauce
* 1/2 tsp. salt
* 1/2 tsp. sugar
* Cornstarch
* Oil

Combine the soy sauce, salt, sugar, and chicken. Let marinate at least 15 min. – up to all day. Dredge chicken in cornstarch (put it in a ziploc baggie and shake to coat chicken). Cook in hot oil until cooked through. Drain well and set aside.

Sauce Ingredients

* 1/4 c. vinegar
* 1 tbs. ketchup
* 1 clove garlic (I used the pre-chopped garlic in a jar to save time)
* 1/2 c. pineapple chunks – reserve the juice
* 1/2 c. green pepper
* 1/2 c. red pepper
* 1/2 c. celery
* 1/2 c. onion
* 1/4 c. sugar
* 1/4 c. water
* 1 tbs. soy sauce
* 4 tsp. cornstarch
* 1/4 c. water

Heat 1 tbs. oil in a large pan. Stir fry garlic (30 seconds), add veggies & stir fry for about a minute. Add sugar, water, pineapple juice and vinegar and bring to a boil.
Combine soy sauce, corn starch, and water. Add to boiling mixture. Stir until thick. Add pineapple and chicken until coated. Serve over a platter of rice.

Here is a sauce that you could make for Ginger Chicken, then just add whatever veggies you want. I think baby corn, water chestnuts or bamboo shoots would be good. You may also want to add a little cornstarch to thicken the sauce.

Ginger Chicken

* 2 tbs. Oil
* 1 tbs. chopped garlic
* 1 tsp. chopped ginger root or 1/2 tsp. dry ginger
* 1/3 c. soy sauce
* 1 tbs. sugar
* 3 tbs. chopped green onion
* 1 c. boiling water

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

My husband wass just talking about wanting to try cooking some chinese food. Thanks for posting your recipes.

Anonymous said...

Mmm, that sounds really good. I love sweet and sour chicken.
How is your coke habit... have you kicked it completely?

Sherri said...

I have been almost 11 days without any carbonated or caffeinated beverage!!

Mrs. O said...

Congrats on the no carbonated bvgs!

I love sweet n sour, but can't ever seem to get it to turn out quite right. I'll have to try your recipes

Mrs. O said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fleur de Bee said...

Thanks for the visit Sherri! How sweet of you! Darling kids!! Mmmm Ginger is one of my most favorite. When I go out for sushi or even bring it home I eat it raw and lots of it. Will have to try your Ginger Chicken. Yum!!

Molly :)

Fleur de Bee said...

PS Good for you without the carbonated bevs...it is hard to do, I know firsthand! My support!!

Add to Technorati Favorites