Pages

My Favorite Weight Watchers Recipe Sites

Blog Archive

Blog Search
Trying To Stay Calm
Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, May 1, 2008

YUMMY ROLLS!!

I have been making my own bread for a few weeks and now I have a hard time eating store bought bread. So I have been looking for a good recipe to make buns for burgers and dogs. A few of my PYP friends have tried this recipe and really liked it. So I finally made them!! I love this recipe because first of all it's simple and uses few ingredients - but it is also very versatile. I made the buns for French Dip and then we had a few extra so I used them for Sloppy Joes last night. This recipe could be used for dinner rolls and today I need to make bread so I think I am just going to use this recipe to make 2 loaves of bread.

Here's the recipe:
1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon salt
4 cups all-purpose flour

In a large bowl, stir together warm water, yeast, and sugar. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
To the yeast mixture, add the oil, salt, and 2 cups flour. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until the dough has pulled away from the sides of the bowl. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl, and turn to coat. Cover with a damp cloth, and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
Deflate the dough, and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into 12-14 equal pieces, and form into round balls. Place on lightly greased baking sheets at least 2 inches apart. Cover the rolls with a damp cloth (or greased saran wrap), and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
Bake for 12-13 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.

Here's how I did my French Dip Sandwiches: I followed the roll recipe but I made 6 big buns. Just before we ate I sliced them in half, buttered them and stuck them under the broiler until toasted then I add a slice of provolone cheese to each half and let that melt just for a few seconds under the broiler. I just used deli roast beef that I heated in a skillet and a packet of AuJus mix. If was seriously THE BEST FRENCH DIP SANDWICH EVER!!!

2 comments:

Queen Karana said...

This post made me hungry... but seriously, how do you find time to make homemade bread/rolls?

Sherri said...

Nap Time!!!!!

Add to Technorati Favorites