Pages

My Favorite Weight Watchers Recipe Sites

Blog Search
Trying To Stay Calm
Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Butternut Squash Muffins

I had 3 butternut squashes in my fridge that I needed to use. I love squash. The Fireman doesn't -- and the kids will eat it sometimes. I cooked 1 for dinner tonight and the other two I cooked an pureed to be used in a couple of recipes.

Tonight I made these really good muffins. I found the recipe at allrecipes.com. They are not too sweet and very moist. They would be good served as a side dish for dinner or for breakfast. I imagine they would also be quite good with chocolate chips in them. I actually didn't want to take the time to peel the squash so I just cut it in half and baked it.

Ingredients

1/2 pound peeled, seeded and cubed butternut squash (I used one whole squash)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
3/4 cup milk
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon butter, melted

Directions

1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease a 12 cup muffin pan.
2.In a medium saucepan with enough water to cover, boil squash 20 minutes, or until tender. Remove from heat, drain, and puree in a food processor.

3.In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, white sugar, salt and pumpkin pie spice.

4.In a medium bowl, thoroughly mix together milk, egg and butter. Stir in squash. Fold the squash mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened.

5.Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan, filling cups about 1/2 full. Bake 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove from muffin pan and cool on a wire rack.

No comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites