Pages

My Favorite Weight Watchers Recipe Sites

Blog Archive

Blog Search
Trying To Stay Calm
Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Fishing for Nemo..... We are not vegetarians.......

We went fishing today. It was so much fun! We went up to a lake that I used to go to all the time with my grandparents when I was growing up. Matt and I usually try to get up there at least once a year. It is usually about 20 degrees cooler there than it is at home. Today was no exception. It was almost cold! Everyone wore long pants and for the first time in about 2 months (other than at church) my kids had to wear socks and real shoes -- not flip flops or sandals. We also had to wear jackets most of the time. We got rained on a little bit WHICH WAS SO REFRESHING!!!

Matt and Micayla were the only ones actually fishing. Micayla has a super cute pink Disney Princess fishing pole. I didn't have a license and I was trying to keep Caleb under control. He played in the mud and was covered!! I am so glad that I thought of bringing extra clothes.

We had some nice neighbors, that probably thought that there was no way we were going to catch anything with our noisy rock throwing kids, that gave us their 2 fish to bring home. Then Matt caught 4 more -- one of which was to small to keep so we released him. As Matt put the fish on the stringer the kids started calling them Nemo. Nemo is a favorite at our house!

When we got home Matt was cleaning the fish and Micayla asked to see them. She asked what was wrong with them. We told her that they died and that we were going to eat them for dinner. She got so sad!! We tried to us this as a learning opportunity. We explained to her that there are some animals that are put on this earth to be eaten. We told her that fish is good for us.

Matt actually doesn't like to eat fish so I kept the biggest one to bake for dinner and took the other's over to the neighbors. As I wrapped the fish in foil and stuck him in the oven Caleb cried out "NEMO". Yes it was a little heart breaking. When it was time to eat Micayla decided that she wasn't going to eat fish - she had such a sad look on her face. Caleb just kept saying, "Nemo."

Note to self....... Don't tell them about #57 the cow that we ate at Grandma's house.....






6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heehee. I think Disney is the leading cause of vegetarianism among my generation. The Little Mermaid taught me that eating fish is bad...although, it never explained what the merpeople lived on...

Amy said...

I dont' like to fish, but I love to eat it! :D The kids look so cute out by the water.

Deb said...

Laughing so hard here!

Great photos!

Anonymous said...

OH, poor lil kids...that is the exact reason I don't fish...well, I don't eat fish either so that is another reason I don't fish. Yeah, don't get me started on eating animals you once knew....I've got post about that sometime.....

I love all the pics....:)

Nicole said...

Those pictures are so cute. M wanted a fishing pole for her birthday. She has a Babie one, they went fishing last night to the pond behind our house but she has yet to catch anything. BTW, I measured my Bee plaque and it's 12 inches square. It's just done with vinyl lettering, you can come borrow it if you need it to copy!

Erin said...

Cute pictures. Your kids are really growing up! I'm glad you had fun fishing. I went once. With worms, dead fish, stinky smells it's no wonder I won't eat seafood. But it's nice your kids can enjoy the great outdoors!

Add to Technorati Favorites