Pages

My Favorite Weight Watchers Recipe Sites

Blog Archive

Blog Search
Trying To Stay Calm
Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Reusable Grocery Bags

I have been trying to figure out an economical way to make/buy reusable grocery bags. Did you know that some stores will actually give you money off of your total (like a coupon) for bringing in your own bags?

This could be a great way to make your own eco-friendly grocery bags:

Take an old t-shirt and cut off the sleeves and collar. Turn it inside out and hem down where you just cut and use a secure zig zag stitch the bottom closed. Turn it right side out and you have your eco-friendly shopping bag.

You can also use an old tank top, and depending on the size of the neck hole you may only have to sew up the bottom. It's a great way to reuse old clothes you'd rather not get rid of completely and reduce your plastic consumption.

13 comments:

Susie said...

That is a great tip!! With rising grocery prices, every little bit helps:-)

Anonymous said...

I'm bad...I still use plastic...I KNOW! But, I need them for kitty litter bags. They make them recylcable now though....I still gotta get rid of the cat poop! Got any cheap ideas for that? HA....please for me...dedicate a post to the disposal of cat poop!

Trixi said...

Great Tip!!! Thanks for sharing.

Marrdy said...

That is a great idea. Gonna have to try it!

Sharon said...

Great tips! I bought my reusable bags at Wal-Mart for between $0.90 and $1 each. I think I have 6 now and that will almost fit my whole bi-weekly shopping trip.
I need to remember to take them even when I'm not "grocery" shopping though.

Aubrey said...

Those are good ideas--especially if the fabric's not stretchy.

Norah said...

You need to post this idea in the green forum on PYP.

Glenda said...

Great tip! I have a cool bag I got at IKEA that I use for farmer's market, but these would be better for the grocery store. Love your blog!

Being Honest said...

Great tip! Thanks so much!

Tiffany said...

Great idea! We have a store out here that sells totally cute and funky bags for 1.99... I even take them to the other grocery stores!

Unknown said...

I totally did that a month or so ago - great bags!

Unknown said...

Oh yeah - now I just have to remember to bring them with - lol!

ShazBraz said...

Love that idea! I have some big ones that I use for my big shopping trips, but I'm always wishing I had some small ones too.

Add to Technorati Favorites